Do not scroll down yet!!! (the correct answers are below). Can you guess the surnames of these
CHARITABLE CELEBRITIES? And……. GO…!!!
- Elton ……….
- J. K. ……….
- Angelina ……….
- Nicki ……….
- Meryl ……….
- Barbra ……….
- Dolly ………
- Matt ……….
- Emma ………
10. John ……….
- Elton John topped the Sunday Times Giving List in 2016 for donating an estimated $38 million to various charities. He donated most of his money to fighting HIV/Aids. His own Elton John AIDS Foundation boasts 24 years of expertise in the fight against HIV.
- J.K. Rowling fell off of the Forbes billionaires list after donating an estimated $160 million to charity. “You have a moral responsibility when you’ve been given far more than you need, to do wise things with it and give intelligently,”
- Angelina Jolie has carried out nearly 60 field missions for her role as an UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador. She was appointed Special Convoy to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in 2012, following years of dedicated service to the program and the cause of refugee rights.
- Nicki Minaj spontaneously pledged to pay off a selection of her Twitter followers’ student loans (and other school-related expenses) in 2017, but for years, she has been sending money to villages in India via her pastor, Lydia Woodson-Sloley. Her efforts have helped establish a computer centre, a reading program, two water wells, and more infrastructure for different villages in India.
- Meryl Streep and her husband, Donald Gummer, established the Silver Mountain Foundation for the Arts. They have also donated about $1 million a year to a number of organizations including Oxfam America, New York’s Meals on Wheels, and the Coalition for the Homeless, the National Women’s Museum, Vassar College, and more.
- Barbra Streisand raised more than $20 million for the cardiovascular program at Cedars Sinai, and donated $10 million herself.
- Dolly Parton started her Imagination Library program, which seeks to mail free books to children aged zero to five, in 1995. On February 27, 2018, Parton donated her 100 millionth book to the Library of Congress, and to date her Imagination Library has mailed books to Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Matt Damon has worked to provide clean water to impoverished communities and co-founded Water.org in 2009. Damon’s foundation hopes to eliminate poverty by creating clean water for disadvantaged communities in 13 countries that include Brazil, Uganda, and Indonesia. So far, Water.org has helped provide clean water to over 17 million people.
- Emma Watson donated approximately $ 1.4 million to the anti-sexual harassment campaign, UK Justice and Equality Fund this year alone — but her history of giving and activism hardly begins there. She is a U.N. Women Goodwill Ambassador and member of the HeForShe campaign, launched an ethical fashion line with PeopleTree in 2009, encouraged her fans to skip her birthday and donate to UNICEF’s charity fund, and supports charities such as the Small Steps Project.
- John Legend established the Show Me Campaign, which “seeks to give every child access to a quality education,” partnered with Millennium Promise Alliance to serve African villages in need, and established FREEAMERICA, a multi-year culture campaign that aims to transform America’s criminal justice system.