The City of Cape Town says refuse collection remains a priority this festive season
The municipality says it wants to assure residents that every effort is being made so that refuse collection continues to take place as scheduled, as far as possible, over this festive season.
Refuse will be collected on public holidays that fall on a weekday. As such, refuse will be collected as scheduled on Monday, 27 December 2021.
Over the festive season, residents are asked to bear with us as in some cases there may be unavoidable delays in refuse collection, due to factors such as vehicle availability or Covid-19 mitigation measures, which may temporarily affect the efficiency of service delivery in some areas.
During such delays:
• Residents are requested to please bring their bins out by 06:30 in the morning, and leave them outside until 21:00 until collected. The City’s Solid Waste teams will continue to work on weekends to clear any backlog which still exists.
• Excess refuse that cannot fit in the wheelie bins will also be collected until this problem is resolved.
• Residents are also asked not to resort to illegal dumping if collection delays cause refuse to build up to the point where it cannot fit in the wheelie bins.
People making use of the City’s drop-off facilities also need to be aware of the operating hours during this period.
Drop-off Facilities operating hours over the festive season
- 24 December 2021 – All drop-offs close at 16:30
- 25and 26 December 2021 – All facilities closed
- 27 December 2021 – Open
- 31 December 2021 -All drop-offs closing at 16:30
- 1 January 2022 – All facilities closed