South Africa could, in the coming days, record more cases of the monkeypox virus.
The National Institute for Communicable Diseases sounded this warning after the Health Department last week confirmed that a 30-year-old Gauteng man tested positive for the virus.
Public Health activist, Dr. Kapil Narain, spoke to eNCA and said there could be many patients with the disease who have not yet consulted medical professionals to confirm the infection.
He says testing for the disease should be scaled up.
Watch Narain’s full interview here.
- IT’S OFFICIAL: South Africans no longer need to wear face masks.
- Health Department defends decision to use post offices to distribute chronic medication.
- Those 50 years and older can now receive another Pfizer booster.
Health Minister, Joe Phaahla, has today confirmed that a case of monkeypox has been detected in the country. Monkeypox is a virus transmitted to humans from animals. There's been an outbreak of the virus in various countries around the world. #DStv403 #eNCA pic.twitter.com/nrKxaa2yWp
— eNCA (@eNCA) June 23, 2022