Democratic Alliance leader, John Steenhuisen says the speaker of the National Assembly has until close of business today to respond to his request that Ministers be recused from the vote of no-confidence in Cabinet, scheduled for Wednesday.
Steenhuisen says he wrote to Speaker, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula about the matter.
He says he also urged the Speaker that a roll-call system be used during the voting process.
Read more here.
- NA Speaker shoots down a request by the DA for a secret ballot during the motion of no confidence in Cabinet.
- DA leader John Steenhuisen has tabled a motion of no confidence in President Cyril Ramaphosa’s cabinet.
The DA has written to the Speaker of the National Assembly to request that Cabinet Ministers be recused from voting in their own Motion of No Confidence and we have requested that the Speaker use a manual roll-call procedure for this vote. – @jsteenhuisen https://t.co/uSKicVYilX
— Democratic Alliance (@Our_DA) March 28, 2022
The Democratic Alliance (DA) is heading to court to stop the government from extending the National State of Disaster month after month.
DA leader John Steenhuisen made the announcement this week and said all indications are that the government will continue to extend the State of Disaster indefinitely.
The DA leader says that if and when the government moves lockdown regulations to permanent legislation, his party will mount a legal challenge to those too.
Steenhuisen says the DA will continue to fight for the rights of South Africans and oppose all of the government’s efforts to further keep the country’s citizens under never-ending lockdowns.
He says the continuous and repeated extension of the regulations does more harm than good.
Read more here.
- Calls for and against lifting of national state of disaster.
- Millions of South Africans will lose access to monthly Covid-19 allowance if national state of disaster is lifted.
- Country’s response to Covid-19 pandemic influenced by high levels of immunity seen in the population.
🚨 The DA is going to court to end the lockdown!
"I have instructed our attorneys to bring an urgent court challenge to the unreasonable extension of the State of Disaster.
— Democratic Alliance (@Our_DA) March 17, 2022