The Minister of Home Affairs Aaron Motsolaedi has confirmed that 51 people were rescued from a Chinese-owned factory in Ekurhuleni, over the weekend.
The Minister says the 51 people were in the country illegally.
He spoke to eNCA and says the victims were rescued after a tip-off from members of the public.
Motsoaledi says the victims had been kept in slave-like conditions.
Watch the full interview here.
- Health Department defends decision to use post offices to distribute chronic medication.
- Watch: Police catch 8 foreign nationals trying to sneak into SA illegally via a fire hydrant system at OR Tambo.
- Big African cities could see a significant increase in their population numbers by the end of the century.
[ICYMI] 51 illegal immigrants rescued from Ekurhuleni factoryhttps://t.co/gxn6x4CMW9
— eNCA (@eNCA) June 27, 2022