The Presidency has this morning, 29 April 2022, received the fourth part of the report of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into Allegations of State Capture.
The Secretary of the Commission Prof Itumeleng Mosala handed over the report to Acting Director-General in The Presidency Thami Ngwenya at the Union Buildings in Pretoria.
Some of the findings include that former President Jacob Zuma aided the Gupta family in capturing power utility Eskom.
Part Four of the Report is comprised of four volumes focusing on six themes as follows:
– The attempted capture of the National Treasury
– EOH Holdings and the City of Johannesburg
– The Free State Asbestos Project Debacle
– The Free State R1 billion Housing Project Debacle
Volumes 3 and 4:
– The Capture of Eskom
The report is available HERE
Some of the findings:
- The Gupta’s executed a scheme to capture Eskom – and that they were aided by former President Jacob Zuma.
- The report states that Zuma “readily opened the doors for the Gupta’s to go into the SOE’s and help themselves to the money and assets of the people of South Africa.”
- Zondo has recommended that Matshela Koko and Anoj Singh should be criminally prosecuted for their role in the sale of Optimum Coal Mine to the Gupta family.
- Zuma replaced Ngoako Ramatlhodi as mineral resources minister because he refused to cooperate with the Gupta family’s wishes.
- Rajesh Gupta must be charged for offering bribe that Mcebisi Jonas refused.
- Zondo has found the Free State asbestos project, for which Ace Magashule, Edwin Sodi and former human settlements officials are currently standing trial was “a considerable scam from its inception.”
The final part of the report is due to be handed over to the Presidency by 15 June 2022.
The first part of the report was handed over to President Cyril Ramaphosa by the Commission Chairperson, Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, on 4 January 2022.
The second and third reports were handed over on 1 February 2022 and 1 March 2022, respectively to Director-General in The Presidency, Phindile Baleni.