The Sanlam Cape Town Marathon is one of South Africa’s sporting highlights, with over 23 000 participants expected to take to the streets on Sunday 15th September 2019, including athletes from over 75 countries from around the world.
Roads and public-transport services near the 42.2km IAAF Gold Label marathon and the 10km routes will be busy and possibly congested and, in some instances, may be inaccessible on the day. Please allow additional travelling time as there may be delays.
ROUTE MAP 2019
The main transport impact:
· Certain roads within the Atlantic Seaboard, CBD and suburbs (including Woodstock, Salt River, Observatory, Mowbray, Rondebosch, Newlands and Claremont) will be closed from 03h00 to 13h30.
· MyCiti, GABS bus routes and City Sightseeing bus routes will be affected in certain areas.
KEY ROAD CLOSURES:
1. Sea Point and Green Point areas include the following;
· Beach Road (both carriageways) will be closed from Queens Circle to Helen Suzman between 06h00 and 08h45 – this closure will be managed in phases:
· Queens Circle / Queens Road / Regent Road / Church Road is closed for the period from 06h00 to 07h35
· Beach Road between Queens Circle and Church Road will be closed for the period from 06h00 to 08h45
· Beach Road City Outbound Carriageway between Helen Suzman and St Johns Rd is be closed for the period 06h00 – 08h00
· Beach Road City Outbound Carriageway between St Johns Rd and Queens Circle is closed for the period 06h00 – 08h45
· Beach Road City Inbound Carriageway is closed for the period 06h00 – 08h45.
2. Mouille Point – Beach Road (both carriageways) will be closed from Haul Road through to Helen from 06h00 – 09h30; it will be managed in phased approach – for specific detours please contact us directly.
3. HELEN SUZMAN INBOUND CARRIAGEWAY will be closed from Beach Rd to Buitengracht Street [06h30 – 08h15]
· Traffic entering the City to use Somerset Road as alternative
4. LONG STREET: LONG STREET between Hans Strijdom and Orange Street will be closed. This includes all intersections with Long Street. [06h30 – 08h45]
5. TENNANT ROAD closure: Tenant Road will be closed at the Darling / Sir Lowry intersection. [06h40-09h15]
6. SIR LOWRY / VICTORIA CITYBOUND CARRIAGEWAY – SIR LOWRY / VICTORIA CITYBOUND CARRIAGEWAY from Tennant all the way through to N2 will be closed. [06h40 – 09h50]. This includes all cross-over to/ from all mountainside intersections including Searle Street, Mountain Road, Fairview Ave, Roodebloem Road, Browning Road and Anzio Road.
7. MAIN ROAD closure: Citybound Carriageway will be closed from N2 all the way through to Protea Bridge in Claremont from [06h55 – 10h30. This includes all cross-overs of main road intersections including Rhodes Ave, Woolsack Drive, Grotto Road, Klipper Road & Dean Street.
8. CAMPGROUND ROAD closure: East and Northbound Carriageways from Main Road to Keurboom & Keurboom to Park will be closed from 07h05-10h55. This includes all cross-overs to or from mountain side roads and intersections to Campground Road.
9. SANDOWN ROAD: Eastbound Carriageway from Campground Rd to Wood Rd will be closed from 07h15-11h25. This includes all cross-overs of Sandown.
10. PARK, MILNER, KLIPFONTEIN & SAWKINS ROAD closure: Park Road (both Carriageways), Milner Road (Northbound Carriageway), Klipfontein Road (From Liesbeek Parkway to Milner Rd) and Sawkins Road will be closed from 07h20 – 11h40
11. LIESBEEK & MALTA ROAD – LIESBEEK & MALTA ROAD from N2 to Station Road Southbound Carriageway will be closed from 07h35 – 12h30
12. LOWER CHURCH STREET – Lower Church Street / Beach Road / Albert Road will be closed for the period 07h45-13h00 on Sunday 15th September 2019. The off-ramps from the N1 to the Lower Church Street & Lower Church Street will be closed.
13. ALBERT ROAD / NEW MARKET STREET – ALBERT ROAD / NEW MARKET STREET closure from Lower Main Road to Adderley Street Eastbound Carriageway will be closed from 07h35 – 13h00, this includes all cross-overs from side roads and intersections (sea side) with Albert Road. It includes Salt River Circle (no access to Voortrekker Road) and Lower Church Street (no access to or from N1)
14. STRAND STREET: STRAND STREET Eastbound Carriageway will be closed between Hans Strijdom and Orange Street from 08h00 – 12h45.
FULL ROAD CLOSURE DETAILS
For full road closure details go to http://www.capetownmarathon.com/information/road-closures/