A new spring water collection point, the Bradwell Spring, has been officially opened in Vredehoek.
Located on the corner of Upper Buitenkant and Ludlow Street, this new site has good public access for both pedestrians and motorists with off-road parking for vehicles.
Information about the Bradwell water collection site:
· The site is located next to Yeoville Sports field in Vredehoek
· There are four taps in a formal structure which has a platform for containers to stand on, and a drainage system. It is foreseen that these four taps will cater to the current needs of water collectors. The City will monitor the situation carefully and evaluate if there are sufficient water outlets
· It will be open seven days a week, from 05:00 to 23:00, and the site has been provided with security
· Each person may collect a maximum of 25 litres at a time to speed up the process of collection. But discretion will be applied if there is no queue at the time
· The limits are not being set on the amount of water that people collect, but to manage the queuing and congestion better and to ensure fair access for all
· The Bradwell Spring water is not treated, and it is used at the residents’ own risk
· This water is not for commercial use, and may not be sold. City staff will monitor the site and act on municipal transgressions as they arise
· Law Enforcement will randomly monitor the site and surrounding area. The site will be managed by 24 hour security guards and EPWP workers during the peak period.