Written by: Mienke van Rooyen
With the fitness industry booming and everyone trying to be as healthy as possible there has been a rapid increase in the demand, especially under younger citizens, to start living healthy. Health starts with your lifestyle and what you use to fuel your body. I want to share some healthy recipes for singles, with you. These are easy to prepare and will not drive your calorie intake through the roof. All my lazy singles, you’ll thank me later.
Let me just get one thing off my chest. When it comes to trying to cook healthy recipes, know that healthy in this context by NO MEANS mean you have to only eat salads, you ain’t no goat. However start with making sure you check the amount of added sauces you use in your dish, yes I’m looking at you, you mayo, chutney and tomato sauce lovers! Hold back on the sauce.
Now, what should you stock up on to avoid impulse unhealthy buys?
The Tiny Life sums it up so perfectly. These are some of my personal staples for recipes for healthy singles because they are all packed with nutrients:
- Bagels (relax it’s not fattening if your consume in moderation)
- Low fat cottage cheese (perfect to ad to any snack)
- Any cold meat you prefer (affordable, quick and easy protein)
- Trim Mayonnaise (you’ll be surprised to see what a difference some kilojoules can make)
- Eggs (can be used in so many different ways)
- Oats (perfect for healthy baking)
- Couscous (6min in the microwave and you’re sorted)
- Peanut Butter (this just makes everything taste better)
- Greek Yogurt (I have a very healthy delicious late night craving dessert I’ll share)
- Frozen fruit and honey (to satisfy those sweet cravings)
Healthy and delicious chicken stew
It takes 10 min to prepare and 30 min to cook with zero effort. Before my boyfriend met me, this was the only, seriously the only dish he would make himself and eat two meals from one effort. I keep on making it, because there is no ingredient that will unnecessarily spike the calorie count, if you consume in moderation.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Chicken stock
- Chicken on the bone pieces
- Rice of your liking
- Boiling water
If you’re feeling fancy you can throw anything in there. I’ve added brussel sprouts, carrots, onions, you name it.
Throw it ALL in a pot at once, add the boiling water and walk away.
30-40minutes later you have dinner and lunch for the next day.
It should look something like this, ditch the bread you don’t need it, you already have your carb, ie rice.
For those who are not that into eating meat at night
You’ll be surprised to know that there are people who prefer less meat than you, my friend.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Feta cheese
- Basil (fresh or pesto)
- Olive oil
- The pasta of your choice (try whole-wheat)
- Garlic (you are single so you might as well eat it)
Bake your tomatoes, basil and feta drizzled with some olive oil in the oven for about 20min at 180 degrees Celsius until you can see that the tomatoes start peeling and appear soft. While that is baking, cook your pasta in boiling water on the stove. Once that is cooked and you pasta is ready throw it all in one bowl and serve hot for dinner and cold for lunch the next day.
If you’re feeling like the carnivore in you needs to be satisfied, you may add cooked chicken pieces at the end.
Healthy breakfast for single champions
If you haven’t noticed, I am very calorie aware and personally believe that it plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy body weight. This healthy recipe for singles is high in protein and fibre.
- 80g raw oats (rolled or normal)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs whites
- 30ml milk (the one from cows, I don’t like milk alternatives, but if you’re vegan, feel free)
- Whey protein (optional)
- As much vanilla essence as you wish (I ad A LOT)
- If you are feeling rich you can add some blue berries
- Adding something like banana and nuts will increase the calorie count to possibly unwanted levels, however if this is not a concern to you, nuts is always lekker especially almonds.
Mix it all together and bake in muffin pans at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes. If you are using an air fryer you’ll only need 12 minutes at 180 degrees. Pro tip – if you have silicone molds you don’t need to use Spray and Cook or butter (this is the health goal here).
Last but not least a great breakfast for those who love their eggs in the morning
This is best cooked in an air fryer but you may use the oven as well.
- 2 Whole wheat bread slices
- Cold meat
Use a drinking glass to cut a circle through one of the slices of bread. Carefully assemble your stack by placing one slice of bread on the bottom, your meat then the second slice, lastly break the egg in the middle of the top slice with the hole in.
Bake this, preferably in your air fryer for 10-15 minutes. You’ll notice that the stack cooks from the outside in. so make sure your egg whites are cooked to the desired state by poking the egg to see the consistency.