Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter says the power-utility has been able to, under his charge, recover billions-of-Rand in stolen monies, which can now be used to help re-build the entity into a world-class energy-generator.
De Ruyter was speaking at a fund-raising event, hosted by the SA National Editors Forum last week and said the recovered monies will help in making the entity more financially stable.
De Ruyter took the helm at Eskom in January this year, and says he has had a lot of support, from especially Government, to put the power-utility back on the road to recovery.
Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter says Eskom has to date, parted ways with more than 30-senior executives and managers, in an effort to curb corruption at the power-utility.
He says the employees were let go, because of the role they played in corruption and state capture at the entity.
De Ruyter says criminal investigations and charges have been lodged against most of the former-employees.
De Ruyter also thanked South Africans for the role they play in helping keep the national-grid stable.
He said the media plays a big role in mobilizing this positive response from South Africans.
"We welcome the level of accountability that you require from us," says André de Ruyter, @Eskom_SA's CEO.
He adds that he regards the media as partners. pic.twitter.com/uBmQO0sEqo
— SANEF (@SAEditorsForum) December 4, 2020
Catch Eskom GCEO Andre de Rutyter's keynote address " Restructuring Eskom beyond the Energy Crisis " this morning at 8 when he speaks at the @SAEditorsForum Fundraising Breakfast
Link: https://t.co/kuACajzah2@SikonathiM @EskomSpokesper1
— Eskom Hld SOC Ltd (@Eskom_SA) December 4, 2020