Toasted cheese is nostalgic for me. While it’s still appropriate for a 6-year-old, it can also be a pretty sophisticated treat for us grown-ups. It certainly doesn’t have to be boring.
1. I’ll start with something that reminds me of my childhood. It was the kid version of toasted cheese and tomato…Toasted cheese and tomato sauce. You simply add your cheese – cheddar or Gouda is best, and put a little tomato sauce on and toast as usual. Delicious.
2. Blackberry and Cheese Toasted Sarmies: Toast some Swiss Emmental cheese or even Goats cheese with some blueberries and it’s a creamy, sweet and salty flavour combo.
3. Rainbow grilled cheese. I mean I realise these are amazing for kids, but I don’t think any adult will scoff at these unicorn looking toasted sammies. Separate handfuls of shredded cheese Mozzarella or white Cheddar/Gouda into 4 individual bowls. Add a few drops of food colouring into each bowl. One bowl could be yellow, one could be green, one could be pink, one blue… Gently mix the food colouring into the cheese bowls with a fork. Arrange the different coloured cheeses in wide vertical stripes on one slice of bread, then place the second slice on top to secure and toast. The cheese melts in those colours and mix together to bring a rainbow. It’s so much fun.
4. Cheesy Roasted Mushroom Melts. Crusty Italian bread, cooked Portobello mushrooms placed on top of a cheesy combo of Mozzarella, Ricotta and Cream cheese all toasted together – YUM!
5. Turkey, cranberry and Brie cheese toasty: Layer slices of turkey meat, canned cranberries (or you can even try dried cranberries) and Brie cheese onto your bread and toast. It will taste a little of Christmas.
If you decide to try any of these, pop Bailey an email with your tasty pics: email@example.com