Taking a cold shower might sound more like a last resort than a health hack, but the simple ritual can actually provide a ton of benefits for body and mind. It also feels a little easier to do in Summer than in Winter, but rinsing in cold water for the last 30 seconds of your shower boosts so much – so here are the benefits.
1. It’s better than caffeine. The temperature shock you feel from a cold shower gives a shock to the body that increases your heart rate, which releases and stimulates the rush of blood throughout the body and oxygenates your cells which increases your alertness. This is great news for those that struggle to kick themselves into gear in the morning.
2. Reduce stress and feel happier. Seems strange that forcing yourself to take a freezing shower can actually help you chill out and feel happier, but studies have shown that those who do cold exposure daily experienced a boost in their mood. Researchers believe that these positive effects may be tied to cold exposure initiating the endocrine response and increasing levels of the endorphins and serotonin.
3. Beat your cold with cold: Making cold exposure part of your regular daily healthy habits could help to boost your immune systems response in fighting off disease. It has been found that cold exposure can help to activate the white immune cells in your body, these are the ‘disease-fighting’ cells.
4. Improves Metabolism: It increases what is known as “brown fat”, which actually uses energy rather than storing it! Brown fat, unlike white fat, has been linked to increased metabolism and lower risk of obesity.
5. Improves Lymphatic System: It also kick starts your lymphatic system, which is a network of vessels that support the body to cleanse itself of waste, bacteria, and toxins. Cold water therapy causes these vessels to contract and pump the lymph fluid around the body, thereby removing accumulated waste.
Bailey’s Hi-5: 5 Surprising Benefits of a Cold Shower